skip to main content

2021-2022 Independent Study

 Important dates for Long term independent study
Top of Page

Long Term Independent Study applications are NO LONGER being accepted.


May 1, 2022: LAST day to request returning to in-person learning

*Students will return to the school site no later than May 6th.
Pencil Border Image

Key New Requirements for Independent Study program (july 2021)
Top of Page


Assembly Bill 130 creates new provisions for independent study.  While we know that the best place for students is in the classroom, the Berryessa Union School District will provide a virtual independent study learning opportunity for those students with an identified need to continue with virtual learning in the 2021-22 school year.  

Overall Key Requirements:

  • Curriculum, instructional minutes, and student-to-teacher ratios must be equivalent to what is offered in-person.
  • Access to technology and Wi-Fi must be made available for all students.
  • Plans to monitor and keep a record of daily participation, which could include online activities, live instruction or completing assignments without teacher supervision.
  • Plans to support English learners, students in foster care, or other high-needs groups.
  • Meals must be available for students in Independent Study if they qualify for free or reduced-price lunches.
  • Plans to transition students who wish to return to in-person instruction in no less than five instructional days.
  • Strategies to re-engage students who are absent for several days.
  • Regular communication between caregivers, teachers, and students regarding a student’s academic progress.
  • Parents with a child with an individualized educational program (IEP) will need to request a time to meet with the IEP team to discuss if the Independent Study option is an appropriate placement.

BUSD ISP Program Overview:

  • TK-3rd: Requires
    • Daily live instruction.
  • 4th-8th: Requires
    • Opportunities for daily live interaction; and
    • At least weekly live instruction.

If you are interested in enrolling your child in the district’s Independent Study Program please see below for instructions. 

Pencil Border Image

2021 - 2022 Independent study enrollment instructions
Top of Page

to enroll in the independent study program for the 2021-2022 school year, please review and complete the following documents.
Top of Page

Parent Notification Letter: Independent Study Program

Parent Notification Letter: Independent Study Program: Vietnamese

Parent Notification Letter: Independent Study Program: Spanish

Parent Notification Letter: Independent Study Program: Chinese


Contracts: (please fill out and submit both documents)

Independent Study Written Learning Agreement - Parent Contract 

Long Term Independent Study Master Agreement



Information Meeting Powerpoint Presentation 

Edgenuity Instructional Services: Synchronous Support and Instruction

Virtual School Resources

Parent Overview Video: Elementary

Parent Overview Video: Middle School


Once you have determined that you would like to pursue Independent Study, you can begin the enrollment process as listed below.

  1. Download and Fill out the Independent Study Written Learning Agreement-Parent Contract and Long Term Independent Study Master Agreement.

  2. Email your completed forms to Christy Boyd (, Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Superintendent of Education Services by August 6, 2021. You may also drop off your completed forms at the District Office, located at 1376 Piedmont Rd., San Jose, CA 95132.

  3. Once your completed forms are received, a member of the Education Services team will email/call parents to confirm placement into the Independent Study program once available. 


*Please note: There is no guarantee your child will be able to return to their resident school site if you decide to unenroll them in the Independent Study Program. Your child may be overloaded for the remainder of the 21-22 school year to another neighborhood school depending on space availability.


Completed forms are due by August 6, 2021*

*Students with Individualized Education Programs (IEP) will need to contact your child's case manager to request an IEP meeting.